As the COVID-19 crisis has resulted in a child rights crisis, this year, on World Children’s Day, UNICEF invites us all to reimagine a better future for every child.
Indeed, UNICEF is calling on governments to adopt a Six Point Plan to Protect Children:
1. Ensure all children learn, including by closing the digital divide.
2. Guarantee access to health and nutrition services, and make vaccines affordable and available to every child.
3. Support and protect the mental health of children and young people and bring an end to abuse, gender-based violence, and neglect in childhood.
4. Increase access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene and address environmental degradation and climate change.
5. Reverse the rise in child poverty and ensure an inclusive recovery for all.
6. Redouble efforts to protect and support children and their families living through conflict, disaster and displacement.